Jim:

Personally I think that the mic gain is up way to far. I use a PR-40 so the setting should be roughly the same. My mic gain is 12 and cmp is 15. I also have the mic setting to the hi instead of the recommended low setting and also have the TXG VCE set to 2.0. Give or take, my setting should be pretty good for you, of course depending on your voice characteristics. I think is is better to be a bit on the low side for the settings then to be on the high side. Give it a whirl and see how they work out for you.
--

*73 De Mike*
*VE3YF

_/http://www.ve3yf.com/_*