I just started playing with JT-65 and JT-9 this weekend, and I’ve already
worked a bunch of DX, so it’s basically working ok.

Transmitting on JT-65, I see a lot of variation in ALC and power as the various
tones change.  I’m using Data A mode with the stock 2.7 filter.  I just had a
QSO with tone frequencies of about 1800 – 1950 Hz, and ALC varied from zero to
five bars on the different tones.  Sound card output is about 50%, and Line In
level is at 12.  Is this variation normal, or am I doing something wrong,  and
where should I set the ALC?

Thanks.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, Arizona