I don't see what all the consternation is about either.  Its not that big
of a deal and I have the K3XREF (a little less room) in a K3s and a K3 and
both radios have the sub receiver.  Fiddly???
<https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fiddly>
really?
I don't think so.  You need to consider the design!  This isn't a 60lb
transceiver we are talking about that you can't upgrade hardly at all.
The foot print and weight as compared to the performance can't be beat and
the modular design is very impressive.  It's a portable radio!  For real!
And if you want to talk PITA, try rolling a 60 lb radio around to remove
this, that or the other.

Taking out a couple of screws and gently lifting up the sub receiver and
remove the coax connections?  Sheesh... it's like it was the end of the
world or something.  Take a few pictures with your phone and take your time
and RTFM!.  Its not like there is a need to remove the sub receiver on a
weekly basis.  I swear, I think if you were to give a $20 bill to some
folks, they would complain that you didn't give them two $10 bills. :)
 Just take your time and install things back again and refer to your
pictures from your phone and did I mention RTFM?.  And on another note the
sub receiver as installed is solid and sound mechanically IMHO.

Maybe if I was 99 years old and my fingers were the size of uncooked
bratwursts and my thumbs were the size of cucumbers, then it would be
Fiddly (and I chewed my thumb and finger nails profusely).  I say move on
folks!  Off my soab box... it's getting Fiddly
<https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fiddly>up
here!

Max NG7M