>"If you want a good quality 10 MHz GPSDO, I recommend the one made by Leo
Bodnar M0XER. It was reviewed in QST, June 2016."

Unless the K3S architecture is different than the K3, then frequency, rather
than phase-locking is used from the external frequency source.  Phase noise
performance of the GPS-DO doesn't impact performance of the K3 receiver.

However, if planning on distributing the GPS-DO to other devices, I think
it's worthwhile to note that the higher-priced version of the Bodnar is
still > 30 dB worse at a 100 Hz Fc offset than a common Trimble Thunderbolt
with the Trimble-branded OCXO (not Piezo) when powered from a low-noise,
lab-grade supply.  For example, typical Trimble PN at 100 Hz is -160 dBc.
The upper-grade Bodnar unit is about -125 dBc.

Compared to what's available on the new and used markets, I agree with G4DYA
that the Bodnar's performance is probably characterized as good, but not
excellent.  Again, for K3 users it isn't an issue, but if the device is
driving other test gear or other transceivers, that 30 dB difference may
mean a lot.

The Thunderbolts were once plentiful on eBay for USD $99.  Scarcity has
driven that up but with persistence, a watchful eye can still spot one at a
reasonable price.

I ended up installing a Trimble unit and Lambda linear supply into a
customized enclosure.  It drives a TAPR distribution amp and that supplies a
precision 10 MHz refence to multiple transceivers and test equipment.

http://tinyurl.com/j7r36w5

Paul, W9AC

---