Whenever this thread comes up-- and it has several times before-- I usually
point toward the displays on the most advanced commercial aircraft in the skies
for comparison. In this context, a pilot needs to know a few (or several)
critical pieces of information instantly, and easily, and can't be captivated
by eye candy. If your shiny new Kensucom's display looked like this, you
probably wouldn't buy it:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737max/news/new-flight-deck-displays.page
(watch closely at the 0:43 mark)

A serious ham operator in a DXpedition or major contest effort may have more
than a few things in common with a pilot processing all the inputs coming at
him from many sources. Perhaps we should be asking, "When will Icom de-clutter
it's display to be more like the K3's?"

As for touch screens, a few minutes ago my iPhone wouldn't respond to my
finger, no matter what I did, and I was locked out. No thanks... I don't want
my pilot (or my 160 meter contest) defeated by a little bit of perspiration or
dryness at a crucial moment.

Al  W6LX