Noise reduction is about reducing subjective noise for the listener, not about reducing some engineering measurement. An instrument is likely to generate some very simple, or even pure tone, signal. With the sorts of strategy used for noise reduction, and very aggressive settings, you could obtain almost perfect results on such a signal, but those same settings would make human speech completely unintelligible.

The big challenge for noise reducers is deciding what is human speech and what is noise. That's much more difficult than identifying a pure tone.

The other sort of test signal that might be used, and the one that is implied by the definition of noise factor, would be white noise, and noise reducers will have no effect on the signal to noise ratio there. They will reduce both equally.

The human brain is actually rather good at noise reduction of human speech, but it gets tired. The aim of noise reducers is to not do quite as well, but remove the fatigue element from the human.

As I've noted before, where the real money is in noise reduction research is in the hearing aid industry, where the noise can be particularly challenging, as it is generally mixed up human speech form the other people in the restaurant.

--
David Woolley K2 06123