There's your issue.... Either he has a counterfeit FTDI chip/unit, OR
simply haven't gotten the FTDI drivers all updated.

I JUST used an older Elecraft supplied FTDI cable the other day to
update an Elmer's KPA500 or KAT500, I forget which.... and it took some
doing to finally get the latest FTDI drivers on ALL the ports used for
K3s, XG3, KAT500, KPA500, P3, etc...

Latest driver is dated:  09/28/2016 v.2.12.24.0 according to my
machine...  Maybe an even newer one for Win10.

Clay Autery, KY5G
MONTAC Enterprises
(318) 518-1389