I need some help from the reflector.  First of all, I am NOT a K3
owner.  I am helping a friend remotely who is 2000 miles away.

His computer was running Windows 10 and was previously working with
the K3, both with the K3 Utility as well as DX4WIN.  I had to rebuild
the computer from scratch after a number of software problems
developed.  His microHAM device with several virtual COM ports is
working fine (it's interfaced to a Ten-Tec Orion).  It's only the K3
that we're having problems with.

I have been referring to this page:

    http://www.elecraft.com/K3/k3_software.htm

First of all, regarding this statement, "Elecraft offers the KUSB
serial-to-USB cable for USB only computers etc.   Our cable was
originally provided using a Prolific chip set but since approximately
July of 2010 we have been shipping KUSB cables which use the FTDI chip
set."

How do I determine which chipset he has?  Other than the virtual COM
ports for the microHAM device, I see two other ports:

  One that says simply, "USB Com Port 3"

  Another port mentions a Silicon Labs driver, and it shows up on COM10.

There is no overlap of any COM port numbers.

I have tried both DX4WIN and the K3 utility with both COM ports (3 and
10).  While there are no "unknown port" errors, neither program can
communicate with the K3 on either port.  So something is missing and I
do not know what that is.

Again, I am trying to do this remotely, so it's hard for me to pull
cables, etc. to try to figure out what's going on.

Can someone please suggest a course of action for me to try to debug
this problem?  Mainly, I don't know which of the two COM devices above
*may* be for the K3, and whether the correct driver is installed.

Thanks & 73 - Jim AD1C

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreis...@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us