From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Mark Bayern
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2017 5:16 PM
To: Mel Farrer <farrerfo...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Elecraft List <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>; Doug Hensley
<w...@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: Whole House Generator

I found that Generac has a series of egens they call the 'Synergy'
line. These are variable speed generators. The only variable speed
generators I'm familiar rectify the alternator's output then use PWM to
generate the 60hz 115VAC waveform.

The Honda small portable 1KW and 2KW gens use this system.

Mark

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Mel Farrer via Elecraft
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net> wrote:
> I tried to get more information on the "syntergy" process.  I know of no
electrical design of the alternator that allow a non distorted change in
frequency of the output,  However a method of load sensing and a planetary
transmission with speed selection could do the job of letting the motor run
slower while the alternator is at constant speed.  The 5-12 minute load
sensing could be the process of the speed selection so that no load is
affected.  Hummm interesting.
> I have a 35 KW diesel Generac and never looked back.  It uses the old
governor method of adjusting engineer fuel/RPM to load. Less load less fuel
used.  OH well.
> Mel, K6KBE

and what caught my ey in the process was a new generator by GENERAC called
"Syntergy" which uses a new three-vein generator and produces a relatively
clean sine wave.  So clean, GENERAC claims less than 1% harmonic distortion,
a level virtually undetectable to the user.

> Has anyone studied this unit and made any conclusions about it?  Their
standard unit produces a minimum of 10% harmonic distortion and they warn
some communications services might become unuseable.

delivered to pin...@erols.com