I learned Morse code the "wrong" way. I had built a Knight-Kit Star Roamer, a very simple tube-type shortwave receiver that was mainly for AM reception but could "kind-of" receive CW. In the back of the manual they had the Morse code written out in dots and dashes.

So I memorized a couple of letters (E and T since they were the simplest) and started listening. Every once in awhile I could hear a letter that sounded like a single dot or dash, so I was pretty sure those were E and T.

Then I added a few more letters hoping to hear a complete word. I think the first complete word I copied was "THE". Then I added more and more characters (starting with the most common ones) until I had the complete alphabet, numbers and symbols.

One advantage of this method is you never get caught on a speed "plateau" because you are listening at full speed from the beginning.

Alan N1AL