I learnt CW the old way around 1962: starting at slow speed, but I believe that
is not the best way. Recently a local club I belong to (most of the guys are
fm/repeater types, but a few are interested in reviving/building their CW
skills) asked me to think about a possible CW training program. I searched, and
found the CWOPS CW Academy. I was very impressed! However, I found their
website a bit confusing, so I dug further. I have found out: They are a club
with membership fees, but you don't need to be a member to take the training.
(In fact, you can't become a member unless you are already good at CW.) Their
beginner classes work the same whether the student had learnt CW in the past or
is a complete beginner, and I get the impression that the success rate would be
about the same for both kinds of student. They run only 3 beginner classes per
year, recruited from all over the world, and the number of students admitted
per class is quite small. It appears that there is a wait
 ing list of a year or so. When you are already hesitant, that wait has to
discourage you a bit, and so would the need to align your schedule to their
start date. I contacted the organization and asked if I (not a member of CWOPS)
would be allowed to teach the beginner class, using the CWOPS method and
training materials to local students, at a time of their choice. The answer was
yes! I didn't ask whether any prospective CW teacher would be allowed to do
this, but if you know your CW at better than 20 WPM, I think it very likely
that CWOPS would approve your request to teach using their materials. So, if
you are a student interested in learning CW the CWOPS way, but don't want to
wait for a the CWOPS official class, maybe you could find somebody local to
lead a CWOPS type class for you and a few friends, assuming that that person
would get approval and training materials from CWOPS. As to my running such a
class, I am not sure that my club will actually go forward with it, b
 ut it seems like a good idea if the prospective students are eager to learn.

73,
Erik K7TV