Three unanswerable questions:  "What is the meaning of life?";  "Are there hams in other star systems?"; "What is the secret to learning Morse code?", and, if 50 people answer your question [likely a low estimate], you will get 62.87 answers. [:-)

The "secret" really is ... there is no "secret."  There as many effective ways as there are aspiring CW operators.  Not every method works for everyone.  Here's a partial short-list of things to investigate:

1.  CW Academy, operated by the CWOps group  cwops.org

2.  Download Morsegen [http://www.g4ilo.com/morsegen.html].  It will send to you in a variety of modes, including text from a file

3.  Make audio files from Morsegen, write them to a USB stick or CD's, and "read" them while on the way to work or a long trip

4.  Send to yourself.  Put the K3s in TEST mode

5.  Listen to W1AW practice and bulletin sessions [1]

6.  Listen to CW contests [2]

7.  Have "in-room QSO's" with K3s in TEST with a friend

8.  Put a Morse ringtone on your fone.  Mine sends the name, if in my fone book, or the number if not, for calls and SMS.  You may not get much practice unless you get a lot of calls/texts but it sure gets attention in the checkout line at Home Depot. [:-)

9.  Put your K3s in TX NORM mode and start making Q's at a speed you're comfortable with.  I hear a number of 5 WPM CQ's in the afternoons on 20 around 14050.

Note:  There is a vast difference between verbatim copy and "head copy."  In a normal QSO, the probability is 0.9964 that the only elements you'll hear will be RST, Name, QTH, Rig, Antenna, Wx, and "WL TNX QSO GUD DX CUL 73."  The only one you really need to jot down is name.  The only time verbatim copy is needed is in traffic handling.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County

[1] A potential issue with the W1AW at increasing speeds is that one can become obsessive over one's current speed.  One needs to forget about speed, yours is what it is and it will increase.

[2] Speeds in contests will range around 30-35 WPM.  However, all that is being sent is call signs and some very small amount of "data" such as 5NN 3 [fake signal report and CQ zone #].  In the Wed CWT's it's a name [all short] and 1-4 digit member #, and knowing what's coming next will improve your copy ability and speed dramatically.