From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of j...@kk9a.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 8:59 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Lightening damage

Why would lightning avoid striking a grounded tower?

John KK9A

Richard Fjeld rpfjeld at outlook.com

I'm trying to avoid taking anyone's side on this discussion.  I wanted to
say that I worked for a  company that had towers throughout the state which
were several hundred feet tall.  Over the years, I only saw one that took a
hit.  The company was so certain their grounding specs had not been
followed, that they made the contractor dig up the entire grounding layout.
It revealed the specs had not been followed.

Certain radio and TV services need to operate 24/7 and can't shut down when
lightening threatens.  Their grounding methods apparently prevent the towers
from being hit .

Rich, n0ce

delivered to r...@elecraft.com