I supported myself at university as an engineer at the only TV station in town.  Transmitters [10 KW visual, 5 KW aural] and studio were in a building at the base of a 400' tower on a ridge overlooking town.  Studio wiring was in trenches in the concrete floor covered with fairly heavy steel plates.  As Mark mentioned, our tower did get hit occasionally, but it was not a common lightning area.  It knocked one or both transmitters off the air once or twice, sometimes it didn't.  Did not seem to bother the uwave antennas or equipment.  What it did do in the control room, every time, is sound like you were inside a big bell as all those trench covers rang. [:-)

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County