Hi Barry,

I wasn't the one who experienced the epiphany; have to lay that at Stan's
feet.   :)

Frankly, it's not a big problem for me. However, it did connect a couple
dots in that I was at my brother-in-law's house operating on the battery
whilst visiting. I remarked that the noise floor was very low and just
attributed it to his QTH.   Never connected the fact that perhaps it was
just the local noise sources and I should be less concerned about QRM from
the neighbors and neighboring rooms, and more about what I was feeding the
rig and the other sources in the room.

I will now be spending some time rearranging things to try this out and get
my noise floor down even further.

On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 20:39 Barry <k3...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Rich,
>      You just discovered the problem with switching power supplies. I'm
> unaware of any computer power supply that isn't a switcher, but for most
> 12 volt needs an analog supply should fix the problem. The only downside
> that I can see is weight; analog supplies can be a bunch heavier, but
> they are RF quiet.
>
>      There some quiet switchers out there. You just need to do some
> research to discover those. One that is quiet is the Tentec. It is
> actually an Astron that Tentec did some work on. I think the one
> Elecraft sells is quiet. Bit, you really need to investigate before
> buying a switcher.
>
> 73,
> Barry
> K3NDM