I am almost overwhelmed by all the very thoughtful suggestions.  Here's what
I know so far.

I had previously performed the idea of turning off all items in the room
except for the radio and P3, but the reported symptom remains.  I then
switched my antenna switch to the grounded position, and the problem goes
away......... Now my suspicion is that my rfi is created from outside my
house.  My antenna system consists of two end fed long wires, 90% opposed to
each other, and a minimal vertical out behind the house.

The RFI from all antennas is approximately equal in amplitude as I select
them one at a time (with the vertical slightly less but I attribute that to
the relative poor receive sensitivity on that antenna.  Nonetheless, the RFI
on that antenna is quite noticeable.

I hesitate to bother for additional thoughts at this point, at least until I
can asses what possible causes external to my house might be at play, and
now to pay close attention to whether or not it changes depending on the
hour of the day.  For example, at first notice of this problem I sensed that
everything was normal until for example, the beginning of the work day.  I
soon discounted that thought however, when I realized it was happening late
at night (as was the case up until I shut down last night around 11pm).  And
it affects only 20 Meters.  All other bands are viewed normally.

Perhaps once I can capture and submit a picture for review here, someone
might be able to make a little more sense out of what I'm trying to
describe.........If I can say it this way, it reminds me of a TV commercial
where folks are in a Gymnasium doing a strength regimen involving holding a
rope in each hand and making it serpentine by moving the arms up and down.
Only that sine wave of baseline noise moves from S-2 to as high as S-7 when
using my best antenna..........  I'll try to get a picture attached later
this afternoon.

Thanks for the help so far.
Mike, K5MP

--