I was NASA certified to solder components back in the late 60's. I don't remember much except that stripping wires teflon wires required thermal wire strippers, and each solder joint used the minimum amount of solder and wires were wrapped around terminals for a specified number of degrees. The meniscus formed by the solder joint had to be concave.  All flux had to be removed with ethyl alcohol. All in an effort to reduce weight of the total package and still be reasonably solid to pass the shake tests.  I would never use NASA techniques for normal solder jobs.  There is something to be said about .062 or .125 rolls of solder  and big lumps of solder on the joints! :-).

Dave K1WHS (solder blob expert!)

On 3/25/2018 3:33 PM, James F. Boehner MD via Elecraft wrote:
Jerome,

Now this is interesting.  This is totally opposite of the way most of us
were taught to solder.  Among the kits I used to put together were Heathkit
and Ramsey, both of whom recommended securing the parts in place by
spreading the leads, soldering, and then cutting the wires close to the
solder blob, checking for shorts.  I assume that goes for Elecraft also, but
I have not built any of their radios as kits, so not sure.

So how did NASA handle the potential difficulties?  Did they have precut
parts?  Did the tech have to place the part in the board and cut the leads
first?  If the part was loose, how was it held close to the board, owing to
the fact that holding the solder and the iron took two hands?  What if the
lead length was overestimated and potentially could cause a short?  Could
the wire be cut and the joint reheated, or did the part have to be removed,
recut and reinserted?

Just trying to picture the operation.

'73 de JIM N2ZZ