IPC-610 is really an acceptance criteria, what it should look like after it
is done. A company or industry can choose to use this or not. Some think it
has caused companies to build in lower cost countries that don't actually
follow it, but claim to. One of the major standards to build to is
J-STD-001. I have and use that too, but IPC-610 has more info about what it
should look like after it is done.

So, IPC-610 and J-STD-001 are what I am familiar with, so I use them and
other referenced standards. They have three classes. Generally the highest
Class 3 is considered for high performance or critical systems. If I was an
automotive company, that is what I would use. For commercial products,
lower Class 2 or even the lowest Class 1 might be OK. My work probably
meets Class 1 most of the time.

Some manufacturers have done things not in the specs for their own reasons,
such as phone makers using low silver content lead free solder because it
works well in shock (dropped phones) but not so much in vibration that may
be found in aircraft or autos.

The specs may be used for anything if you wish. NASA has had their own
specs (NASA-STD-8739.3, superseded by J-STS-001-FS which I have never seen
as I never worked on space products) and other manufacturer's may have
their own specs too. I just don't know who actually uses them.

You can Google these various standards and find some old versions for free,
but most of the latest ones will cost you. They are long and boring, but I
generally search for what I want to do and read that section. I used to
work with some of the fine people who wrote the standards to point out the
right sections to me. These standards are updated after thousands of hours
of testing and experimentation. I was also able to watch some very skilled
people solder. My skills pale in comparison, but I try.

73,

Mark
W7MLG