Mark,
Does IPC-610 also cover automotive products?
N2TK, Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Mark Goldberg
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2018 6:20 PM
To: Elecraft Mailing List <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Resistor and capacitor installation techniques: trim
before or after soldering?

For commercial products, there is IPC-610. That is 400+ pages of
descriptions of how to determine acceptability of and  build electronic
assemblies. It has very clear explanations and lots of pictures and diagrams
of right and wrong ways to do things.

Unfortunately, you may have to pay to get a copy. There are also a whole
series of more specific specification documents for certain operations, but
IPC-610 will have most of what you need to know. At least, it is what I look
at first.

Section 7.3.5.9 allows trimming after soldering if the trimming does not
damage the solder. For certain classes of products, a visual inspection at
10X is required. Reflowing after cutting is also acceptable instead of
inspection. I believe there are special trimmers that minimize shock during
the trimming process.

I attempt to follow IPC-610, although my skills may not be fully up to the
task. At least I know where I fall short.

73,

Mark
W7MLG

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018 at 10:28 AM, Mark Petrovic <mspetro...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> While reading through my new K2 kit's control board assembly
> instructions, I see that some builders prefer to trim the resistor and
> capacitor leads before soldering.  I'm intrigued by this, and wonder
> if someone who uses this technique can share their experiences. Do you
> the solder the component from the top of the board or bottom?  How do
> you keep the component in place during soldering?  I am assuming the
> value of this technique is in the resulting lower profile of the
components on the backside of the board.

delivered to tony....@verizon.net