Not from Elecraft but...

Yes the caution is warranted for "VGA" cables. They are not always pin for pin and can do two things wrong. One is that not all pins are wired and the other is worse as they sometimes tie the shields together shorting out needed pins. There are multiple versions of VGA cables.

My source for the correct cables is L-Com here:

http://www.l-com.com/d-sub-high-density-d-sub-cable-assemblies

I've had good luck with products from them being reasonably priced and good quality. I'd just get the length I'd need rather than an extension. An extension adds another failure point as with all cabling jobs.

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR