I have a Lunar-LInk System 72 (432 mhz) Amplifier using a pair of 3cx800
(perfectly designed by K1FO SK), in a cubic package that may actually be
smaller than the KPA1500 (of course the power supply is external, and the
blower and T/R relays are attached to the back of the amp).  I had a choice of
Dayton blowers, one for ssb/cw (60 CFM if I recall correctly) and one for
moon-bounce or key-down modes (100 CFM, I think).  I got the 100 CFM blower,
anyway the one that moves more air; 100 CFM makes a lot more noise!

The only discussion about blower noise was to provide this choice (sometime
after I got my unit it became possible to purchase the 100 CFM blower but it
ran at two speeds).

I imagine that levels 4, and 5 are related to key down modes in KPA1500, and
maybe level 3 as well.  I suppose one can reduce fan or blower noise to some
extent by paying attention to relevant details about fan and noise but all
significant variables held constant (like the size of the amp and the power
output), there is no free lunch (as usual), solid-state or not.

I recall the conduction cooled amps (no fan, no noise), one by Henry Radio (2 x
8873) and another by Heathkit (one 8873).  You had to reduce power
significantly for key-down modes, and neither amp made 1500 watts output rtty
key-down (1000 watts cw for the Henry--but of course this was before the
current maximum legal power output).  Still, how long you could hold down the
key depended upon ventilation of the amplifier. Heathkit recommended only 200
watts output for rtty.  I imagine guys placed fans (making some noise) near the
heatsinks!

So, to put this into perspective, how long the key can be held down using
kpa1500 at 1500 watts output power may have something to do with fan speed
number five!

If you want "almost silent high power", then try running kpa1500 at 500 watts
output (about like a conduction cooled amp--but don't hold that key down too
long without ventilation).

73, Will. wj9b

CWops #1085
CWA Advisor levels II and III