Yes John, and it turns out to be a fairly simple equation if you make a few assumptions.  Around 1958 or so and a student [sophomore], I spent the summer with a small crew building KPFK on Mt. Wilson in Los Angeles.  The TX was almost totally homebrew [REL serrasoid exciter], with 4 4-1000A's in the PA [4 parallel class-C 4-1000A's at 90.7 Mcs was a bit of a challenge [:-) ].  About to return to school, I was reviewing the physics I'd supposedly learned the previous year and realized I should be able to calculate the efficiency of the PA from the smattering of thermodynamics I knew.  Tx engineers don't have much to do until something breaks.

I knew the pressure difference between the air inlet and the exhaust [quite small, there was a differential manometer], the filaments dissipated 600 W, nearly all in heat, and I knew the temp difference between the gozinta and gozouta air so I could calculate the mass of the air moving per unit time or so I thought.  Then, with the PA on and stable [3.5 A @ ~5.8 KV], I could do it again only this time calculate the power lost to heat the air.  Subtract the 600 W from the filaments, and I got 69.4%. I assumed the air was heated at constant pressure, my calculus hadn't progressed far enough to do otherwise.

After I went back to school, they finally measured the efficiency on a 2-stage oil/water cooled dummy load and called me and said they got 71.3%.  If it doesn't go up the 3 1/8" hardline, it comes out as heat ... somewhere.  There's only two options.

I'm a little surprised at the obsession with fan noise ... I'd like to hear about how much more DX everyone is working with a KPA1500.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County