Fred (FL) wrote:

3.  200 Watt PEP (input) 6146 desk-top AMPLIFIER:
solid state devices use Si, Bo, Arsenic, dopants,
and vias - to create roadways for e's.  Vacuum tubes,
have a gaseous layer - which allows a bit of
latitude for resiliancy, "echo", springiness,
and an ability to take load and drive jolts.
They also can exhibit negative R!

Echo?

Solid state amplifiers can be designed to 'take load and drive jolts' just as well as tubes. It simply requires good engineering practice. And many solid state devices, such as tunnel and Gunn diodes exhibit negative resistance.

Listen to a HW-32 200W PEP on SSB = clear,
sharp, powerful audio.  Listen to a 15W solid
state amp device = much weaker, a bit anemic,
a bit flat.

Oh come on.  This isn't the audiofool reflector.  You can't be serious.

Secret? = hot 12VAC filament, and evacuated
gaseous layer!  Ask the VARIAC folks!
If Elecraft could market a BACKER TUBE AMP
project- one we hams could complete as a "project" -
FCC would be happy, and we'd have our toaster-size
200W PEP input amp next to our K2's - for those
of us (I suspect MANY) hams would want to use.

Now I *know* you aren't serious!  Happy April 1 on May 21!
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco