CW only, optimized, completely analogue, airspaced variable capacitor tuned,
quality mechanical reduction (not planetary), mono-band, single conversion,
preferably Top Band first, transceiver.
  I'm working on it myself -  bought twelve 15"x12" double sided copper clad
boards at $4.25 per board for the rest of my lifetime needs.
 TUF-3 mixers soon, or maybe I should use a 6JH8 beam deflection mixer hybrid
like the Practical Wireless 'Epson' in September 1974 by G4AR (SK).

  The K2 is good, but typically too digital nowadays.

Ian, G4ICV, AB2GR, K2 #4962 (born in 1956)