I love the "product idea" for a K2b or K3, based on
an upgrade to K2 base!  New Front Panel, New Control
Board - and some new options that plug into one's
existing K2 RF Board.  (I couldn't readily find who
put up that idea - but great!)

New Ideas  -  I beg to differ, and my 3 cents.  In
any large organization, one would think that they
"think" and create new product ideas regularly and
quite naturally.  When in fact this is often not
the case.  It is often NOT design, NOT marketing,
NOT R&D - who come up with the new product or
invention ideas.

I worked for 30 years in more than a few R&D orgs -
where ideas could flourish - and "marketing" would
squash.  What drives new products?  Marketing's
quest for profit centers.  At Kodak, in the 70's -
the thought of a 35mm "Kodak" camera was NO.
The "camera" was a consummer of film - perhaps the
camera itself, as a product, was a loss leader -
(it was) to create more and predictable film
consumption.

In ham radio - so many very creative hams, have
a many very good ideas, needs, and operating
observations.  I think it is great, if one's
Manufactuging choice for ham gear, encourages that.
It sure looks like Elecraft, is such a company!

Ideas, "what if" ideas - often, like new musical
scores - magically appear.  It is not often something
one can creat a "new product group", and expect them
to crank out new product ideas.  It is said, Handel
came up with the entire "Messiah" in a matter of
weeks.  (over 20 or 30 very very complicated
compositions)

The practical side of me, wants a K3 with more knobs
and operator variable inputs, not less.  I don't want
to have a PC control center - with a RIG BOX somewhere
back in the closet awaiting the next PC
command.  I've just spent oodles of time - working
with my new K2 #005422 - and Spectrogram, tweaking
the CW and neg CW and SSB filter characteristics.
It's starting to sound very sensitive.  I'd now
like to think there is some "upgrade path" for my
K2 - more options, big options, K3 options, K2B
new Control Broard,  new FRONT PANEL ........

And a few "outboard" options - to hang onto or sit
next to my K2, would be nice.  I don't want to wire
a AMP inside my K2 - me, I'd like to sit it next
to my K2.  An outboard RF Output/SWR meter, an
AMP, a tuning indicator, a set of quality Earphones,
a good Elecraft mobile Mike, .........., a Meter
option for my K2B, top mounted?, a K2 "bus I/O"
option - coming out of K2 side panel - to allow
attachment of a whole range of auxilliary and
useful outboard "bells and whistles"!  :)

Project?  The IEEE, in 1978, saved away all of the
then Vacuum Tube technologies - into a huge IEEE
data base.  So there must be something to those
tubes, some inherent quality.  HOW SMALL COULD YOU
DESIGN A dual-6146 TUBE AMPLIFIER, how big would it
be, sitting next to my K2?  How much PEP/CW Power
could it put out onto a Dipole?  What would the
power requirements be?  Could my Astron 35M power
it?  Would a dual-tube 6146 AMP, sound more powerful,
than todays 100W solid state amp?  Do tubes inherently
have a magic "audio" quality, that is
discernable on the airwaves?  Does someone know
of such a circuit, with a 2006 parts list.  Is
it buildable, by a few hams?  Does QST have such
a beast?   Sure sounds like a fun ham, project to
this ham.

It is said, McIntosh's TUBE AMPLIFEIRS still draw
BIG BUCKS, for the hi-fi/stereo buff.  Why?

Fred N3CSY
having fun with my K2 # 005422
nice way to spend some of my retirement!
what can I add to or beside it, nexs?
5/24