For the past 30 years I have lived-in the highest point for 25 miles in any
direction.  I have three towers, 70 feet, 150 feet, and, until two years
ago, 200 feet.  I lowered the 200 foot tower to 155 feet two years ago.
For the first 15 years my equipment was struck and damaged 4 times for a
total of $15000 dollars in damage.  This inspite of the fact that
everything was grounded.  I'm sure something wasn't right with the
grounding systems, or this wouldn't have happened.  After one strike, the
drawers were welded shut on the metal desk the equipment was sitting on.

At that point, 15 years ago, I built all wooden tables to sit the equipment
on and started a policy of disconnecting everything that went to the
outside world.  I made a written checklist and followed it faithfully every
time it clouded up or I had to leave the equipment for more than a few
hours.

I reconfigured the AC to the equipment to be fed by one circuit.  I don't
run an amplifier so the power load was less than 500 watts, I am sure.  The
AC supply for the gear comes from the inverter, a pure sine wave circuit
and a 100 amp hour AGM battery. That inverter goes to the only source of
AC.  All computers are also powered from the same system.

So when I disconnect, one AC plug removes everything from AC source.  THEN
I also disconnect the phone line to the house at the outside customer
access box. AND I disconnect the station ground which goes through the
largest power pole connector available.  Now the equipment is bonded
together and isolated from ground.

All cables are disconnected and removed from the vicinity by several inches
(a weak point, I know).

Since implementing this system fifteen years ago, I have had zero lightning
damage, even though I have seen direct strikes to the towers.

I spent ten years of my EE design career designing lightning suppression
circuits.  The bottom line is, you can't prevent damage if things are
connected to the outside world.

I won't even sit in the same room with the gear when lightning is about.
During one of the strikes, I had a turned wooden lamp sitting on the top
shelf of my rig setup.  I forgot to unplug it.  Lightning got it and it
exploded, creating 15 inch long splinters out of the lamp body.  One buried
itself in the wall, leaving a one inch diameter hole, which I have left as
a reminder.  Several other splinters flew 12 feet across the room (right
through the space where I would have been sitting in my chair) and buried
themselves in the back of a small couch where my wife usually sits and
reads in the evenings.  At the time, we were out of town.  When I returned
and found the scene, my first thought was that someone had broken in and
trashed the place.

Bottom line --- disconnect power, telephone line, ground bus, and all
cables every time, no exceptions.

PS-- my Mac Mini does  not have a way to attach a ground wire unless I want
to drill and tap a hole in the aluminum case for a ground screw.

End of soapbox...

73,

Dave, K4TO