Yes my grounding system is NEC compliant. And yes my insurance company is
happy. Their last inspection they asked that I replace 5 or 6 boards on the
Deck.
>From a 29 years ago memory I think I had around 2K total plus sweat equity
installing the commercial type ground system. That 2K is small potatoes
compared to what equipment it is protecting. The whole house is protected from
all other points of entry as well as the towers. Power Lines, CATV lines, Phone
Lines, Small Dish TV lines and anything else that comes to our homes. Then if
one adds up a simple Ham Shack with radio computer monitor TV sets
throughout the house Microwave ovens Stoves Washing machines all the other
stuff we have in today's homes. If you don't want to be replacing the stuff
possibly
all of it then all of us should have home protection. Either do it properly
depending
on your sytem or suffer the wrath of Mother Nature.
73
John k9uwa

> Agreed.   And your grounding system alone certainly cost several
> thousand dollars more than most ham stations.
>
> I will also add, if your ground system, implementation and methods do
> not comply with NEC, in the event of any loss, your insurance company
> can simply say "it has been nice doing business with you.  Your coverage
> is hear by CANCELED".
>
> Although living  TN, my QTH is 500 ft above average terrain out to 35
> miles.   I understand living on a hill, grounding and lightning.  Do it
> correct to minimize damage.  Do it wrong or incomplete and expect to encounter
> a loss, up to and even the house, and hopefully no loss of life.
>
> 73
>
> Bob, K4TAX
>

> On 10/30/2018 11:17 AM, John K9UWA wrote:
> > In the fall of 1988 I installed a 160 foot tower. I already had a 120 foot
> > tower and an 88 foot tower In the spring of 1989 the tall tower was hit by a
> > direct hit and it was about 10K to repair all the damage. My homeowners
> > insurance company was not at all impressed. I was given Assigned Risk

BIG SNIP

> > 73
> > John k9uwa
John Goller, K9UWA & Jean Goller, N9PXF