From: "Wayne Burdick" <n...@elecraft.com>
To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Cc: "k...@yahoogroups.com" <k...@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: 10/29/2018 11:08:39 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] Avoiding costly lightning damage to your radios gear

Every year, especially in summer, our techs see radios come in that have been damaged by lightning, despite the radio's protective circuitry. You can take steps to reduce your own risk.

1. Many of us remember to disconnect antennas when lightning is anticipated. But in our experience, the most common source of damage, by far, is from an attached computer. Computers themselves often fail due to lightning strikes. They can also act as conduits for surges to other gear. Just to emphasize this point: Customers often say "I disconnected everything but the USB cable to the computer...," which left the interface to their radio exposed.

Note: Only in rare cases have we seen surge damage via other I/O ports (accessory jack, paddle/keyer jacks, PTT IN, KEY OUT, and DC). USB and RS232 ports are the most susceptible.

2. Some stations have an ad-hoc ground system and little or no ESD or surge protection. If you haven't already taken protective measures, we strongly recommend reading this article, which goes into some detail regarding how lightning finds its way in:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST/This%20Month%20in%20QST/June2017/Chusid-Morgan.pdf

At the very least, be sure your PC and other gear share a short, heavy, common ground.

3. As for protecting your PC, here's a good starting point:

https://www.wikihow.com/Protect-a-PC-in-a-Thunderstorm

73,
Wayne
N6KR