Sometime last night K2TA posted what I was thinking:

As long as we are dreaming...I wish the KPA800 photo had a K2 or some other
way of determining the size/dimentions.

If the KPA800/1500 is not much larger than a Ten-Tec Orion then I would love
to see a K3 that matched the amp in size.

Make it modular and expandable.  Have slots on the motherboard for 2nd rcvr,
6M/2M/220/440 transverter modules etc.

I don't think doing an internalized set of XVs makes sense,
but the basic approach is neat (though as K2VCO pointed
out, perhaps a bit on the large side).

Hopefully more of a kit than the new KPAs, it might be
reasonable to expect doing one or two significant
additional features to the basic radio in a post-K2 product.

Take general coverage.  BPFs as a module gives choice of
not having to pay for cost of feature one might not need, or
change to something even more robust for more demanding
ham-band-only use.  Enough room in that cabinet to
transplant some of those FT9k preselectors?  ;^)

A sub-RX isn't entirely a rabid contester feature - I use it
more DXing & realize if we had it in the past, it would have
been handy when NCSing 7RN.  Perfect thing to make into
a module.

All sorts of interesting possibilities.  Hopefully starting with a
good, solid radio.  Keeping kit & serviceability in mind, maybe
unlikely to have things like IF DSP.  More remote
controllability please, though remember every knob on an
encoder is significantly more expensive.

Something more like as N8LP described.  Some of the
features mentioned here are probably not practical.  I see
some of it driven by Brand-K/I/Y domestic market, something
Elecraft probably now has the momentum to go against.

An SO2R-ready-out-of-the-box K3 is the last thing this
contester would like to see.... a modernized TR7 as Larry
mentioned or something starting from like an OMNI6-as-
a-kit - that would go down well with a far wider market, too.

N2TK - I'm thinking all solid-state TS820/830-like performance
in a kit, maybe even use an IF so that filters can be recycled
from other rigs.  Are you with me? Divide-from-VHF PLL is start
towards Tony's & W4ZV's previous mention of close-in
performance - GM4ESD, got any other ideas?  Then add some
first-string big-box features based on modules & there's
something for everybody.

Nice to dream, isn't it?  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham