In a message dated 5/24/06 9:38:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> The next logical step in terms of performance is a
> contest grade K3 with SO2R capability to match the new amps. The major
> problem with this is that is not compatible with a kit... IMHO. I just
> don't see the big gun contesters spending months building a radio with
> that kind of performance.

I see your point, but consider this:

When the K2 came out, one of the comments I heard many times was that there
weren't many hams who would spend close to $600 for a kit QRP CW rig they had
to build themselves. Almost 6000 K2s later, that's turned out to be a bit
inaccurate....

Another comment I recall went along the lines that the complexity of modern
radio technology was such that any modern, high performance ham rig would have
to use surface mount technology and would be close to impossible to put in a
kit....

You can see where this is going.

I don't know if big gun contesters would buy/build a "K3", or if SO2R in one
rig is even a practical option. I do know that some serious contest folks are
running K2/100s, even in SO2R. I also know that the K2 has shown there to be a
market for rigs that don't fit the Ikensu mold.

73 de Jim, N2EY