From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: Wednesday, 02 January, 2019 15:19
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Ideas for an FT8 Radio

On 1/2/2019 2:56 PM, Carl J. Denbow wrote:
> While it's legal to run maximum power on FT8, or any other weak signal
> mode, it's certainly not in the spirit of the weak signal mode ethos
> Most weak-signal mode enthusiasts pride themselves on the worldwide
> contacts they can make with low wattage.

You are confusing "weak signal" with QRP. "Weak signal" means signals are
weak thanks to the mode of propagation and/or because it's a difficult path.
WSJT-X modes like FT8, JT65, and JT9 are designed for that sort of
communications -- long distances on 160M (4,000 miles and up); E-skip, long
distance tropo and moonbounce on 6M, and so on. These modes are also useful
if the station on the other end has a lot of receive noise, and most of us
do nowadays.

The moderate power levels you are espousing ARE appropriate on the HF bands
with decent antennas and moderate noise levels. BUT -- when I'm trying to
work 6,000+ miles on 160M, I run legal limit into very good antennas,
because that's a difficult path. AND -- even with that, I often get much
weaker signal reports than I transmit, often in the range of -20 to -24,
which means that I'm certainly not using too much power!
Last night on 160M, I tried for most of an hour to work an SV2, who was
6,600 miles from my QTH near San Francisco. For most of that time his signal
was weaker than -20.

73, Jim K9YC

delivered to e...@w0yk.com