Well said, Don!

73,
Scott K9MA

On 1/6/2019 15:40, Don Wilhelm wrote:
All,

I think a bit of extended study on transmission lines and their impedance transformation characteristics is in order - refer to any ARRL antenna book, even those from the 1950 an 1960 era, not much new has been added, other than baluns.  The feedpoint impedance to the transmission line can vary from quite low to quite high dependent on the frequency, the length of line, and the load at the far end.  It does NOT depend on the characteristic impedance of the transmission line.  The ARRL TLW program can do a lot of computation for you.

You may be able to adjust the length of the transmission line so there is a moderate shack end feedpoint impedance on all bands of interest and be able to use a good current balun which has either a 1:1 or 4:1 transformation ratio.  You have to measure the transmission line at the point where you intend to install the balun to be sure which to use.

Yes, just hanging any balun on any length of parallel feedline connected to any length of antenna and expecting it to work without problems is just not going to happen in all but exceptional cases. How many cases where you see "this antenna works great" do you see any mention of how long the parallel feedline may be.  Most hams simply ignore that, but it is likely the most important part of how the antenna works and what type of balun of you need to use.

Your experience may be very different with the "same" multiband antenna than your local ham or that in the article you read unless the feedline length and type is know.  I do not see many antenna articles where the feedline length is mentioned if it is parallel feedline.

With resonant antennas, the feedline length does not matter as long as the feedpoint impedance of the radiator is the same as the characteristic impedance of the feedline.  In those cases, the feedline length does not matter, but in all other cases, it matters a lot.

73,
Don W3FPR