You do realize that if the common-mode current on the line is due to asymmetry between the antenna and the line, then choking at the feed-point reduces the CM current at that point, but just like your example said, a quarter wave *down* the line you have a CM peak.  If asymmetry isn't an issue then open wire is just fine with a balun at the tuner and I say this while not being a fan of open wire fed antennas.

I'm also somewhat bemused by the cottage industry that's sprung up in the last few years to calm the hand wringing about common mode current.  I think there's been a lot of development of cures that are looking for ailments.  In my curmudgeonly opinion of course :-)

Wes N7WS