On 1/14/2019 6:32 PM, Wes Stewart wrote:
You do realize that if the common-mode current on the line is due to asymmetry between the antenna and the line, then choking at the feed-point reduces the CM current at that point, but just like your example said, a quarter wave *down* the line you have a CM peak.

Yes, but the choke at the feedpoint prevents that common mode current coupling to/from the antenna, which is how it gets inside the feedline as a differential mode signal. And the common mode current on the line below the choke is that induced by the field from the antenna, not from any imbalance in the antenna.

If asymmetry isn't an issue then open wire is just fine with a balun at the tuner and I say this while not being a fan of open wire fed antennas.
And it's also not an issue if you have no local noise sources, a luxury that I think you said you have.

I'm also somewhat bemused by the cottage industry that's sprung up in the last few years to calm the hand wringing about common mode current.  I think there's been a lot of development of cures that are looking for ailments.  In my curmudgeonly opinion of course :-)

If you had local noise you might view things differently. :) FWIW, I wasn't the first to realize the relationship between common mode current and RX noise -- I picked up on it from a long treatise that W1HIS wrote around the time I was doing my work. And I contributed pieces of the puzzle that he didn't know about, most importantly, the equivalent circuit of a choke and the importance of a high resistive impedance.

73, Jim K9YC