Hi Dick . . .

Good to see you on the reflector again.

One "earthly reason" for having four people wear headphones during FD is when you are wanting to train new operators.  By monitoring both sides of the contact they can better grasp what's going on and practice copying the exchanges (especially so for CW students).

We have used both the Behringer AMP800 (http://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Signal-Processors/Headphone-Amplifiers/AMP800/p/P0331) and the Rolls HA-43 (http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=HA43), and both amps work fine at 100 watts with no RFI.

They have also been useful for summertime QRP sprints (e.g., Bumble Bee and Skeeter Hunt) where signals, weak to begin with, are further drowned out by outdoor noises.  Some QRP rigs don't have speakers and those that do are often not usable outdoors.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV