That is why I've begged several times for a firmware change to make VOX gain saved per mode.

 I do use VOX on RTTY and SSB and with a lot of fussing with soundcard levels have it more-or-less set so all modes use about the same VOX gain.  Unfortunately, IMHO anyway, I think VOX gain should be independent of mic gain but it isn't.

Wes  N7WS