Bob,

The K3s did go into transmit, there was no
signal being generated.

Peter, VK4JD had the correct answer to
this thing that has been eluding me. His
reply here yesterday was the solution and
involved a win 10 page I have never
encountered before. It took some looking
but I found the page in windows setup he
was thinking of & sure enough, in windows
10, there is an option for WSJT-X and
sound. He said he doesn't use WSJT-X but
he knew exactly what the problem was.
Clever fellow.

FWIW, my WSJT-X configuration is good,
it's a Windows thing...