Andy:

> On Mar 29, 2019, at 5:56 PM, Andy McMullin via Elecraft
> <elecraft@mailman.qth.net> wrote:

snip...

> I’m sure there’s something in the works but I see nothing from the developers
> themselves to say so and the next version of MacOS seems to be only weeks
> away.

Apple has a tradition of announcing the next release of Operating Systems (eg.
macOS, iOS, WatchOS. tvOS, etc.) at the annual World Wide Developers Conference
(WWDC) that takes place in June.  This year’s event is scheduled for 3-7 Jun 19
in San Jose.  Traditionally, WWDC is an opportunity for announcing upcoming
product releases for both software and hardware products.  Typically, software
announcements made in June are not actually released until late September or
early October.  This has been the case for a number of years.

Consequently, while Apple has already made it clear (back in 2017) to software
developers that the 2019 release of macOS (v10.15) will not support 32-bit
applications (in the hope that the ‘heads up’ will prompt them to update their
software), little else has been revealed about what enhancements/improvements
will be incorporated into the 2019 release of macOS.  These new
features/enhancements will likely be touted at the next WWDC.  In any event,
don’t expect ’the next version of macOS (e.g. v10.15) to be available until the
Fall, though security and other incremental updates to the current version
(macOS 10.14.x) will likely take place before the next major release.  This
week Apple released incremental updates for MacOS (v10.14.4). iOS (v12.2),
watchOS (v5.2) and tvOS (v12.2).  Hopefully, the next six months before actual
OS Product release will give time to developers to update their software.

That said, it is also true that developers may decide NOT to update their
software for whatever reason (cost, changing marketplace, gone out-of-business,
other priorities, etc.).  iOS went through a similar OS update in 2016 when iOS
v11 was released removing 32-bit app support.  Apple announced in October 2014
that iOS would no longer 32-bit apps in future iOS versions.  A number of iOS
apps I was using were no longer usable with v11.x and the developers did not
release a 64-bit version.  Fortunately, I had moved my data from those apps
because iOS v10.3 that came out in January 2017 had provided a ‘heads up’ that
apps that I had would not work with the next update.  That gave me time to make
a less frantic transition before iOS v11.0  (64-bit apps only) was released in
Fall 2017.

Of course, consumers are not required to update whatever macOS is applicable to
their products if favorite software will not work with the an OS update. It is
also true that as products get older they may no longer be eligible for OS
updates anyway.  I’m running macOS v10.13.6 on my 2010 MacPro instead of macOS
10.14.x because the video card is not capable of handling ‘dark mode’ that is
part of macOS v10.14.x and there isn’t a current generation after-market video
card suitable for my MacPro that retains full Mac Video functionality.  There
are video cards out there that can be physically installed, but they don’t have
Mac drivers native to them.

Of course, Windows users are not necessarily out-of-the-woods when it comes to
OS changes.  With the ‘end of life’ for Windows 7 in January 2020, many
individuals who have this OS (including yours truly) will need to decide next
steps regarding their trusty PCs or virtual machines still running this
software. I saw one estimate that 40% of currently active PCs are running Win7.
 Whereas Apple provides OS updates/upgrades for free, Microsoft is not as
generous.  Those that have Win 7 PCs or VMs that are capable of running Win10
will need to decide whether to invest the $139.00 to download an upgrade to
Win10 or perhaps convert to Windows 8 (support lasts to 10 JAN 23).  Those with
PCs that are not compatible with a newer OS will have to determine whether to
invest in newer hardware.. One alternative to not upgrading is to pay a monthly
subscriber fee (that will increase each year; specific pricing to be announced)
to continue to receive Win 7 security updates starting in Januay for up to
three years .

Of course, converting to Win10 also encompasses a ‘learning curve’ given that
Microsoft decided to update the ‘look and feel’ (for whatever reason) such that
someone familiar with Win7 has to learn how Win10 is organized/functions.  I
ended up putting a Win7 “Classic Shell” on a Dell laptop running Win10 so that
i didn’t have to be ‘reprogrammed’ in order to manage/utilize it.  Given that
Apple has not altered the ‘essentials’ of using macOS as annual upgrades are
released (for free), my preference will continue to be Apple, recognizing that
for certain functions, Windows OS is necessary.

“Aging Obsolescence” is a continuing challenge with electronics that continues
to function but no longer meets current technical ‘expectations.’

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW
Keller, TX