I ran my K2 last weekend on a battery (from my backyard – fully charged 52
Ah. Gel cell), and everyone on the net (40 meter SSB) complained that the
signal was distorted and just plain sounded very bad.  One person suggested
that it was the 12 volts put out by the battery, rather than the typical 13.8
volts.  I brought out my power supply and everything worked fine.  I guess it
was surprising that this radio, that I understood was for portable operation
wouldn’t work well on battery power.  Has anyone else experienced this or is
it unique to my radio?  This is a 4000 serial number.  I have on order the
W4RRY battery booster.  By comparison, my FT-857 seems unaffected by 12 volts.
Tom W6EIJ

Thomas E. Beltran, Esq.
BELTRAN, BELTRAN, SMITH OPPEL & MACKENZIE, L.L.P.
2501 West Burbank Blvd.
Suite 200
Burbank, California 91505

Telephone: (818) 567-1776