Thank you Jim and Don,

I based my comments on the experiences I've had with the K3.

When I was running AFSK, I would use the standard tones 2125/2295, set the levels on the K3 with 4 bars showing, the 5th flickering (no ALC).  But if I tapped the display (in HRD) to center on another station (changing tones to say 1000/1170) I often noticed that the bar display was often very different, either pegging the 5th bar or not even reaching the 4th bar.  Adjusting the Mic gain was the simple fix, but it was something that had to be watched for each click of the mouse.

Based on the assumption that it wasn't the K3 as the cause, that leaves the computer (no equalizer in play, so not likely) or the sound card (in this case a SignaLink).

It's not scientific research but there you are. I don't have the training or tools (scopes) to make refined repeatable lab quality observations of audio.  It also stops the K3 from power hunting if you watch the audio levels (rarely saw that, even with 3 bars showing, even the amp stayed at full power).

These days I use FSK and manually tune so this is a non-issue for RTTY but having experienced this before, I watch carefully on FT8 (and it doesn't seem to be an issue since I use 'fake it' which keeps the actual tones between 1500-2000 Hz. and I'm unlikely to transmit harmonics of the audio).

73,
Rick NHC