For CW, if radio is set to 7.040 then it will transmit a carrier on 7.040. If
you tune to a station transmitting on 7.030 then your radio should also be at
7.039 and the P3 would show a spike on 7.030. The pitch of the audio is done in
the receiver so you can make out the code. Otherwise you wound only hear “tch
tch tccch” for a “U”.

In the past an adjustable “BFO” or Beat Freeuency Oscilkator was used to beat
against the incoming carrier to provide an audio so that you could hear the
code. This was often needed due to you hardly ever worked someone on same
frequency as your crystal. Once you found someone coming back to you, a turn of
the BFO knob could provide a usable audio signal.

The TX Sidetone is there for the same reason.

Sent from my iPhone
...nr4c. bill