Absolutely.  The other advantage of a horizontal dipole (or inverted V) is that
it will be far quieter than the wire.

An end fed non-resonant wire installed as a sort-of sloper “works” but is far
from optimum.  Especially since you’re using a minimal counterpoise system.
One counterpoise wire (elevated) is far from being optimum.  But sure, you can
make contacts on one.

That said, we all deal with what we have available.  As someone else said, a
resonant vertical with an adequate radial system will work very well, too, if
you have the space.  A vertical will be good for DX,  So will a dipole at a 1/2
wave up.  The dipole at lower heights (or an inverted V if you can’t hang it
high from both ends) will be far better for local to medium range contacts than
the vertical.  It depends on your objectives.

I’ve been experimenting with this same kind of non-resonant end-fed wire
antenna on 20M because in my living situation it is supposedly good for multi
band operation.  It works poorly everywhere.  My 20M Buddipole vertical (with 4
elevated radials) works better than that wire.  I recently got a 20M horizontal
antenna bent around in my restricted space, and it is so much quieter, and
works well, too.

I’d also suggest a thorough reading of the ARRL Antenna Book if you haven’t
done so :-)

Grant NQ5T
KX3 (8342)/KXPA100