From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2019 6:55 PM
To: hawley, charles j jr <c-haw...@illinois.edu>; Wayne Burdick
<n...@elecraft.com>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>; elecraft...@groups.io
Subject: [Elecraft] Radio clocks, internet and security!

Chuck and all,

How many actually use the clock in the K3, K3S, KX3 or KX2?
I certainly don't.  In the case of the KX3 it is used to time the charging of
the internal batteries - good use.

I can see a ham without a watch or cell phone to want the rig to display the
time for logging, but for me, my good old Timex on my wrist tells me what time
to log.  The clock in my KX3 is more difficult to access than simply glancing
at my wrist!

I have never even set the clock in my K3 or KX3!  Nor do I feel a need to do so.

As far as the K4 Linux software/firmware being internet connected, I have my
reservations about that.  I have enough stuff connected to the internet, and
someone will have to demonstrate the benefit of my ham radio being connected to
the internet in addition to my computers.

If connection of the K4 to the internet is to be done, I have concerns about
security and personal privacy.  Even Linux is subject to bad stuff from the
internet - it is not entirely secure, it is just that the number of users is
small compared to other OS versions and hackers just do not bother for most
cases.

When my refrigerator or microwave begins to listen in to my conversations, I
begin to worry about the BIG Brother consequences.

BTW, I do not have an Alexa or Siri device for those security reasons.
I can easily use a switch on the wall to operate a light switch and it is
secure. I can turn on my home theater or my computer AV application when I want
to hear music or view videos.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like to have control of my environment.
The Internet Of Things seems to be fraught with exposures and dangers that I am
not willing to accept.

73,
Don W3FPR

delivered to k9...@live.com