Good Evening,

   I was listening to the ALCS game 6 on 750 AM.  It was loud but I kept hearing tones.  I thought I was imagining CW from the noise.  It wasn't repeated often enough to catch more than a character or two once or twice an inning.  Then in the 4th I got K7??T.  I put that into https://www.wm7d.net/perl/ulsquery.pl but got too many hits.  Then a lot of repetitions with DE K7RAT a few times.  I put that into the database and I found an amateur radio club station south of Manning.  Put the address into Google maps and found their location.  Eight miles as the crow flies from me across a clear space between us.  I put K7RAT into http://reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=K7RAT&t=dx and found their frequency of 1817.0 kHz.  I should have completed the loop by turning on my K3 and finding them there too.  I was able to copy a few other stations on my stereo's receiver but not as well as the club station.  From google maps I saw a large vertical antenna.  I should drive over for a QSL card :)

   I need to work on my antenna system so I can use 160 meters this season.  The ATU on my K3 can't match my antenna; I think it is too long.  But I can use it to copy a lot of folks on the low band.  Twenty and forty meters are not as quiet nor as productive.  I am hopeful the sun will be more active one day. Which day that may be in still in flux.

Please join us on (or near):

14050 kHz at 2200z Sunday (3 PM PDT Sunday)
  7047 kHz at 0000z Monday (5 PM PDT Sunday)

   73,
      Kevin. KD5ONS

_