As stated earlier, a radio with internal power supply capable of 90V to 250V and run the PA devices from 48 to 60 volts for a 100 watt radios.  And for mobile or portable, a 12VDC to 120VAC converter, makes it a 12V radio.   I use a 1000 watt pure sinewave converter on our travel trailer.  The converter is about 1/2 the size of my P3 and cost about $300.   Thus not much more than the cost of a AC power supply and it is CLEAN.

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 2019-11-04 4:44 PM, Scott Manthe wrote:
> Elecraft's design philosophy dictates that their radio be capable of
> portable/field operation, so that's how they design their radios.
> They're lightweight, efficient, and operate off 12 volts.

If that's the design philosophy, limit the power output to 60 W PEP.

Elecraft already have *two* other 12V capable radios - the KX2 and KX3 -
of one doesn't count the K2.  *WHY* create another dirty 12V radio
("active predistortion" is not the solution) when one can have a clean
60W radio at 12V or a clean 200W radio at 40V?

Build a DC-DC supply for the 40V PA stage if one wants to run it from
an automobile electrical system (or install a separate 48V alternator,
regulator and battery specifically for the PA stage).

Increasing transmit IMD by a factor of 40 just to operate the radio
at 100 W PEP on a 12 battery is unconscionable given today's state
of the art.  It was different when 48V transistors/FETs were not
available but that ship sailed almost 20 years ago.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV