Elecraft has made their design decisions for the K4.

Since someone suggested running a 100w 12v device at 60w then it occurs to me to obtain 100-120w then run two devices in parallel or push-pull. Should not increase weight or drive requirements by a significant amount. Cost probably under 150%.

I bought the K3/10 initially because i mainly operate VHF thru mw. Later I bought a 10w KX3. Then decided on the KXPA100 which either can drive with about 5w for full output thru 24m. Of course the KXPA100 uses 12v devices but a clever ham could build a two device amp, instead. Only on 6m is full 8w drive required for 80w output of the KXPA100.

I use the 1mw (nom) transverter interface to drive transverters on 2m and above so output is clean. I have a 1000w linear* for 6m which drives with 11w from the KXPA100 (have to switch on the 3-dB attn on input to get that low). The 1000w amp runs with 48v as do my 2m 1500w and 600w 1296 LDMOS amps. I keep output at start of saturation or lower on all the high power amps.

*6m 1000w amp is capable of 1600w 24/7 keydown AM operation on ch.2 TV, so is loafing at 1000w which is the limit of my 48v - 50A PS.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com