I don't want to look like I'm beating a dead horse so this will be my last comment on the subject, but my point was that I don't think very many contest stations or DXpeditions are going to sell their K3s rigs to buy a K4 (I don't see a compelling reason for them to do so), so I'm not sure how much value there is in it being a 12 volt rig even if the price range is similar.   If anyone views that differently I'd like to hear their reasoning.

And I'd bet a lot of money that most contesters or DXpedition operators would be glued to their laptop screens and punching keyboard buttons instead of watching the LCD display on the rig.  I know that I have operated entire major contests without ever touching anything except the tuning knob on my K3.  Everything else I need to do is controllable from N1MM+.

The capability for future features could of course prove me wrong on both accounts, but for now it just doesn't seem to me that they would likely override the immediate value in having a significantly cleaner signal.  Clearly Elecraft has made their choice, for better or for worse.

Done now.  ;)

73,
Dave   AB7E