The other thing to watch is the frequency stability. When I used to
run digital modes on the KX3, the radio would drift a bit as it heated
up. I got one of the XG50 reference oscillators, and went through a
temperature compensation profiling procedure, and after that it worked
very well. I guess you already know with Elecraft radios that setting
the levels works differently to many other commercial radios -- often
you'll see procedures where you use the audio input drive to control
the transmitted power and saying to avoid ALC, but those procedures
and not appropriate for Elecraft -- there you need to set the input
level (on KX3  think it was something like 4 bars on the "ALC" meter)
then control the output power using the power output knob. Someone
else on this list probably has more current information than I which
pertains to the KX2.

73, Matt VK2RQ