On 4/4/2020 9:01 PM, brianchapnick wrote:
This discussion fascinates me only in that I wonder why you are using so much
power for weak signal modes? 5 or 10 watts should be plenty even with a
compromised antenna and poor band conditions......or am I missing somthing.

Yes. "Weak signal" does NOT mean low power. "Weak signal" is define by the path, the frequency, noise levels on each end, and antennas. When I'm trying to work EU on 160 and 80 from my QTH near San Francisco, I'm running legal limit. When I'm working double-hop (or more hops) E-skip on 6M, and meteor scatter on 6M, I'm running legal limit. And when I'm running power like that, I almost never fill up the band with CQs.

Don't get me wrong -- I have >170 countries worked QRP, DXCC on 20 and 15 QRP, all CW or SSB. I rarely run FT8 on other bands, although I've been doing it a bit on 60M and 30M, and I don't run much power there. There is a time and place for everything. :)

73, Jim K9YC