On 6/8/2020 1:47 PM, Peter Kaletsch wrote:
But how do I get a reasonably effective earth?
You don't need an "earth," you need a counterpoise.

VE0JS, who has sailed around the world four times on a 37-ft sail boat, loads the backstay against a sintered bronze plate in the water. I suggest that you do something similar for the vertical, and one or more wires strong along the boat as a counterpoise. She has a remote tuner at the base; the feedline in your boat will probably be short enough that you can use a tuner built into the radio.

A bunch of us in North America have worked her from the south Indian Ocean on 40M. She's running an ICOM marine radio, SSB only, with no voice processing. Check out her qrz page.

73, Jim K9YC